Saturday, May 15, 2010

French Creek

Over the past couple years, the Mid-Atlantic Super Series (MASS) has really become a hot-bed of competition for the ladies. The generous payout draws some of the strongest ladies from both the Mid-Atlantic and the Northeast. Whenever a race promoter uses low turn-out as an excuse for small payout, you can point to the MASS as a good example of what happens when female racers area taken seriously.

At any rate, the race went fairly well considering the competition. The elite Cat1/pro field was stacked with some pretty fast ladies and I was surprised to find myself pulling to the front up the first climb. I eventually faded back, but did my best to hold a consistent pace to the finish. At the end of the day I finished in 7th place, not a fantastic result, but not horrible either considering the competition. The humble MASS "podium" looks more like a bunch of kids at summer camp. Payout went as deep as 9th, so I had some cash to cover entry and a post race meal at a cozy diner near the PA/MD border.

Cat1/Pro Female Winner: Kristin Gavin (what a beast!)
Cat1/Pro Male Winner: Jeff Schalk (yay!)









Oh, and not to get sappy, but Jeff and I met for the first time at French Creek three years ago. Funny how things work out.

No comments: