Saturday, February 6, 2010

One More Car

Last week's week's One Less Car Symposium in Annapolis got off to a delayed start on account of Tuesday night's snow fall. Chanda and I arrived in time to catch the tail end of the morning sessions and then started looking for lunch. As luck would have it, we happened upon one of Maryland's most celebrated restaurants, Chick and Ruth's Delly, which was recently featured on Man v. Food. We were immediately greeted by the owner, Ted Levitt, who kept us entertained with countless magic tricks and zany antics until our sandwiches arrived. The deli was opened by Ted's parents in 1965, who's compassion for people continues to be evident in the strong culture of camaraderie.

Chanda and I returned to the conference where we learned more about all the exciting efforts in Maryland to increase the state's bicycle mode share. From there we headed to Automotive Direct USA, where I bought a 2000 Subaru Legacy. Soak in the irony. That's right, I bought a car after attending the One Less Car Symposium. It's as horrible as it sounds. But in my defense, I've been driving the same Toyota Tacoma since I as nineteen, and after 240,000 miles I have decided to finally let it go. From the mountains of Colorado to the beaches of Miami, my truck has been a loyal mode of transportation for the last eleven years. Thank you, Tacoma, for eleven years of countless adventures and many happy memories. You will forever live in my heart.

6 comments:

mikejoos said...

Congratulations on the new car!!! Good choice... I was worried you might choose something completely unpractical... I remember you talking about el caminos and old brown pick up trucks.

Anna said...

If I had my druthers, I would have gone for the '85 Honda Civic wagon with only 80,000 miles. What a sweet ride.

ck said...

Congrats on the new ride! It'll be wierd not seeing you in the Tacoma. I loved my Subie!

Rob said...

from Lorena:
*GASP*!!! The Anna-sauna is no more? How will people even recognize you?
Congrats on the new Subaru. I am sure you will do your best to put your Anna-flair into it right away. Maybe not through spilling a bucket of paint in the back of it this time around though.

Anna said...

Lo and CK, you are both true friends. Thanks for understanding the weight of this event in my life.

Blue-eyed Devil said...

Ha, I had a beer "with" your friend at Lost Dog in S. Arlington a while back. She and her man came in while I was there and we struck up a conversation. She mentioned she worked for LAB and that she knew you.

Hope all is well with you and Jeff. Nice talking with you at Joe's party.