Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Base 2

So last week marked the end of Base 2 according to the training schedule I have formulated for the 2010 season. It was a bit of a struggle to squeeze in the 18 hours I had planned as much of the week was spent at the Transportation Research Board (TRB) conference (which, by the way, was really very interesting). To add insult to injury, Sunday's weather was pretty much horrible. So, I decided to fold MLK day into the training week in a desperate effort to get my hours in. Trying to squeeze in training time during the work week is never easy, and it is especially hard when trying to log in long hours of base miles. With Jeff's counseling, I think I might try to revamp my training schedule by putting more emphasis on quality instead of quantity. (photo: the gridlocksmith showed up at the TRB reception)

Oh, and I finally did my first power test, only to find out that my powertap is miscalibrated for the third time in less than a year. But I guess there are worse problems to have, such as living in a country devastated by a 7.0 earthquake. It's good to keep things in perspective. Also, I forgot to pack a sports bra for the Kelley Acres CT class on Sunday and had to get creative with what I could find on her supply shelf. Turns out duct tape and rubber bands will do the trick when you're in a pinch. The photos are a bit unflattering, so
I don't think I'll be posting them. In other Kelley Acres news, Joos now holds the TT record. I think it was Black Sabbath's "Crazy Train" that really helped him turn the screws.

Joe's 40th birthday celebration was on Saturday. It was a warm, jovial gathering of the usual crowd. Jeff especially liked the bean dip and everyone was startled by the cream cheese swimming in a green gelatinous substance. Happy Birthday Joe!












As for updates on the LeCanne tragedy, TransitMiami has posted that there will be a memorial ride held on Sunday morning at 9am. I will actually be in town visiting my family and plan to attend.