Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Wake-n-Bake

Our last night in Athens was spent sampling the various brews of Terrapin Beer as part of my induction into the Wake-n-Bake team. As the team’s newest member, I felt a certain responsibility to acquaint myself with the Terrapin product. The specialty brew of the night was the Dos Cocos (or something like that). I’m usually not a fan of darker beers, but this one was quite nice …something you might like to sip slowly by the fire. Next we tried the SunRay Wheat Beer made with honey from Savannah Georgia as well as the India Style Brown Ale, each of which were quite tasty. We finished off the evening with the award winning Rye Pale Ale which coincidentally was our favorite of the four.

Light weights that we are, Jeff and I opted not to sample the remaining beers and instead made our way to the gift shop. Fairly cold and slightly buzzed, the his and hers Terrapin sweatshirts seemed like a logical decision.

Terrapin Brewery (inspired by the Grateful Dead album “Terrapin Station”) is based out of Athens, Georgia and released its first beer in 2002. Since then Terrapin has developed a well rounded collection of beers, won honors at the World Beer Cup and Great American Beer Festival, and continues to expand its range of distribution. Turns out they also have a satellite brewery (Flying Dog) in Frederick!

6 comments:

Blue-eyed Devil said...

FYI: Terrapin is contract-brewed by Flying Dog (which recently bought Frederick Brewing Company), meaning Flying Dog brews Terrapin's beer on their behalf and using their (Terrapin's)recipe. It's a way a small player can put out their own beer without having to invest a lot of capital in all the necessary equipment and space.

Okay, I admit that drinking beer is much more fun than pontificating about it...

Anna said...

Thanks for the clarification ...I thought maybe I was giving false representation by claiming Flying Dog as a "satellite brewery", but was afraid of tarnishing the image of Terrapin ...I wasn't sure how beer snobs feel about contracting out to breweries. Does this change your opinion of Terrapin's quality?

Blue-eyed Devil said...

Never tried Terrapin, but contract brewing is fine by me...Old Dominion (before Budweiser bought 'em) contract-brewed a great beer called Tupper's Hop Pocket. AB killed that contract, leaving Tupper to find another brewery. I think Frederick Brewing Co. was on the list of potential replacements, but I don't know how it all played out.

Are you suggesting I'm a beer snob? ;)

Anna said...

I think everyone should have at least one commodity for which they have high standards. Nothing to be ashamed of.

mikejoos said...

Congratulations on the new team. I looked @ the team site looks pretty good.
beer with coffee in it sounds pretty crazy . tried it? . good idea I suppose, it will appeal to two types of addicts . if they could figure out how to get some tobacco in there it would be perfect. All the legal addictive drugs would be covered.
will this will be your new pre-race breakfast / caffeine jolt?

Anna said...

That might be a good idea, but beer tends to make me gassy. Maybe a coffee/chocolate/tobacco brew would be good for a recovery drink?