Friday, January 9, 2009

Feet Without Gender

When it comes to footwear, the Euros really know what they’re doing. One size for both genders, that’s all you need. Why is it necessary that each gender should have its own sizing scale? I found this to be particularly frustrating when ordering my first pair of women’s specific SidiDominators. Up until now I’ve always worn men’s Sidis in a Euro 41, which converts to a women’s 8.5. But for some reason Sidi has decided to make their own brand of Euro sizing ….one for each gender. (click photo to enlarge sizing chart)

When my new shoes arrived I had a difficult time cramming my boat feet into a women’s 7.5 ….WTF? Looking at their sizing chart one is led to believe that a Euro 41 will translate into a women’s 8.5. I still don’t have a good explanation for the disparity in sizing, but I thought I would forewarn other women who might be in the market for some gender specific shoes ….don’t get burned like I did!!!

Speaking of gender specifics, today is the birthday of Simone de Beauvior (according to this morning's Writer’s Almanac), author of The Second Sex . A famous French feminist in the 1940s, she made the distinction between sex and gender. According to de Beauvoir, "One is not born, but rather becomes, a woman”. I wonder how that translates to shoes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i agree i myself was looking for a pink stilleto in a mans size 12>it was so frustrating!my wife the very same day same store found a running shoe in a mans size 6 that fit her like a glove!it seems too me that men get the short end of the stick on this one!whats next tampons for men!!

Anna said...

Hmmm ....I'm not sure that tampons really apply to this discussion as they are clearly a gender related item. Either way, I hope you and your wife are enjoying your new shoes.