Thursday, October 2, 2008

Cowgirl Creamery

I was in the mood for fine cheese today, so I decided to bee-bop on down to the Cowgirl Creamery (919 F st. NW, DC) to indulge my inner epicurean. It's rare that I have a desire for the finer things ...usually Diet Coke and animal crackers are what I crave ...but today I was feeling especially cultured ....maybe this is what it feels like to be a grown up? Maybe it was riding the MARC train that had me feeling Euro Chic?

While it is a little on the pricey side, they have an especially friendly and knowledgeable staff clad in matching white aprons who are happy to help you select a cheese that suites your individual palate. Delicate ribbons of cheeses placed on tiny squares of waxed paper are handed over the counter as you peruse their endless supply of delectable dairy.

After tasting several cheeses, I finally settled on two small blocks (it gets expensive pretty quick). Of the three cheeses I tasted by the Cowgirl Creamery (Mt. Tam, Pierce Pt, and Red Hawk) I selected the Organic Red Hawk , a triple cream cheese with a smooth sharp flavor. The second cheese I selected was the Tumalo Classico (an artisan goat cheese from Tumalo Farms in Central Oregon), also rather sharp but with an earthy goat cheese twist.

Yeah, it's a bit pricey, but due to the high price elasticity of artisan cheese, it is important to support such establishments in times of economic strife rather than continuing to pad the pockets of corporate America. So, go ahead, induldge in a .38 lb cube of your favorite cheese and enjoy!

Can't wait to enjoy my fancy pants cheese with a bottle of cheap ass wine in our new place!

3 comments:

Ikon O. Klasst said...

Exactly how I feel about good beer! It's one of the luxuries that's simply worth it every time.

Gourmet cheese is the same; never a regret.

Enjoy!

(That last line of your post made me laugh--thanks!)

mikejoos said...

Cheese snob

Anna said...

Nothing complements fancy cheese like ass wine.