Thursday, June 12, 2008

Tour de Tykes

Last weekend (Hoo-Ha weekend) I spent more time racing to the bathroom than I did on the bike. So I was most grateful to be feeling back to my old self when we arrived at Tour de Tykes in Danville, PA on Sunday morning. Not being much of a climber, I didn’t have very high hopes for this race, but thought I would just get a good song going in my internal i-pod and see how things went. (photo: engrish.com)

It was a funny start. It was about a minute before the race began that I realized we would be plodding up the climb all at once rather than in a staggered start. A slightly awkward conversation ensued among us ladies. We were in a small gaggle off to the side trying to decide whether or not to move up …but no one really wanted to make the first move. This is just a little snapshot into the world of female competition. We all know we’re competitive, for Christ’s Sake it’s a race! So much female competition goes on under the surface. Rarely do women parade their competitive streak in the same way as our male counterparts. This makes for great road trip conversation…

Right, so the race ….well, once the climb was over I was able to settle into a good pace. Due to the slightly chaotic start I really had no idea where I was with respect to the other ladies. Nancy and I went back and forth for a while. She would catch me on the climbs, I would lose her on the descents …we went back and forth like that for a while. I think it was a particularly long descent that created a sizable gap between us. With only a few miles left in the race I spotted another woman in front of me, but wasn’t sure if she was in the elite women’s field or the elite 35+ women’s field. So ….I tried to sprint past her on the line …turned out we weren’t in the same class …either way it made for an exciting end to a hot ass day.

So, my good friend Michelle took first, I bee-bopped in behind her (about 14 min. later) in second, and Nancy took third. Aside from the brutal heat, it was a good day. Milling around after the race it was good to catch up with folks I hadn’t seen in a while …I think that’s one of the primary reasons I race …to catch up with old friends. Maybe one day I’ll catch up with Michelle on the trail!

Oh, and thanks again Michelle for taking such good care of Jeff and I! We had a great time! The bromeliads have are doing very well in their new home!

(again, I didn’t take any photos …more photo filler)

3 comments:

Lorena said...

Anna, I miss you!
Way to go - sounds like you had a great race! You must be a better climber than you give yourself credit for. And if there is a climb, then there will be a descent and we all know how much you rock at that.

Lorena said...

and by the way, I LOVE all the random pictures. you are funny. what is going on in that head of yours?

Anna said...

So glad you like the photos! Much of what I post on my blog is with you in mind. I am a big fan of the Candrian household humor.

As for what goes on in my head ...it's a carnival up there for sure. Never a dull moment.