Monday, March 10, 2008

Thanks Sparky!

I’d like to send out a big “THANK YOU!!!” to Sparky over at Freeze Thaw for piecing together my new commuter bike! It was about 7 months ago when I ran into Sparky at the Trexlertown Velo Swap. I had just purchased a vintage Peugeot frameset and he was eager to help me find a seat post with the proper diameter. Little did I know, it would ultimately be Sparky who would breath life into this frame and bless me with my new commuter bike.


The untimely loss of my last commuter is still fresh on my mind, but this is a new chapter and change is good. Relics of the old commuter bike still remain alive in the wheels, cranks, saddle, bell, and pedals. We had to go with the straight bars in order to compensate for the top tube that is just a bit too long for my torso. Thanks again Sparky!!!

Oh, and in other news, the original Freeze Thaw sign is now up for sale. According to Jordyn it pulls a lot of energy from the grid, but I believe they can set it up with LED bulbs instead. Please contact Jordyn for further information:




Asking price: 1 case of beer (you can’t go wrong with Yuengling in PA) …OBO

9 comments:

JAA said...

A rolf low spoke wheel on a commuter...Anna....I have a 20+ yr old campy hubbed wheel - 36 spokes....thats what you need.... LOL

Jeff

Anna said...

Actually, that wheel has a lot of history to it. Technically, it came from my very first road bike (2001 Trek 2200). It was rebuilt back in 2004 after a friend of mine wrecked me out. Since then it has been nursed along after a few hard knocks. It's a good wheel. Tougher than you would think. But certainly not of the same period as the frame. I like to mix things up.

Thanks for the offer though!

Lorena said...

So which bike is your new commuter...the one with the christmas lights wrapped around it?

Anna said...

Indeed, I feel much safer at night on this bike.

Actually, that bike was mounted on a sign for the very first Freeze Thaw store in State College, PA. It's really a historic piece. I think it would go nicely in your apartment.

JAA said...

Wheel sounds good....just wasn't sure....now if you had a zipp 404 on it...YIKES. Enjoy the ride...looks like fun. I'm on the lookout for a 24" Sears FreeSpirit...it was my first 10 speed bike...when 10 speed meant 10 speeds...not today's 20...red/white/blue etc ... would like to have my kids ride it....

See ya soon. - Jeff

mikejoos said...

I think your new commuter is better than your last one. This one has a break. fixed gear again?

Anna said...

Yeah, I like the color combo better I think...it's much more cheerful. I'm also liking the straight bars a good bit; however, they make me a little nervous in traffic...they could be a bit too wide. That reminds me of the time I impaled my leg. Oh, and it is a fixie. I know this sounds so cliche, but they just seem to make good sense in a city.

mikejoos said...

Don’t think I would want a fixed gear, but I’ve never used one so I can’t judge.

miss the pink chain, bar-tape combo.

Anna said...

Pink...such a contentious color. I'm a bit conflicted about how I feel about pink. We can continue this conversation in CA in April.