Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Overbite

It was the fall of 1993 that I met, Jordan, my first true love. I was 14 with a mouth full of braces and a heart full of love for this long haired hippy from Smyrna, Georgia. He was exactly 3 years my senior and I feared that my braces would hurt any chance of him taking notice of me…so I did what any logical adolescent girl would do…I systematically removed them with the help of a friend. In addition to being a really dumb idea, I don’t think it was actually necessary for the success of our relationship.

Jordan and I fell in love and together we spent the following year and a half gallivanting around Cobb County in his old Ford pick-up with the windows down and the radio dial fixed to Z93. In the end, it was geographics that ultimately tore us apart. Well, that and my mom’s iron fist (I know you meant the best mom!). Sure we may have had our crazy times, but our love was as pure as a north Georgia mountain stream flowing to the Chattahoochee.

Over the years we have kept in loose touch, but it wasn’t until this past weekend that I saw him for the first time in over 6 years. He and his sister, Branden, are diehard Blind Melon fans and made the trip up from Georgia to see them perform at the 9:30 Club last night. It’s crazy how music can send you back in time.

I still have a bit of an overbite due to the premature removal of my braces, but I’m proud of it. It’s part of my history. It reminds me of where I’ve been and where I hope to go. Ultimately, it reminds me that I don’t have to compromise my orthodontic integrity to be valued for who I am. Jordan loved me either way.

Safe travels Bran and Jorn'!

11 comments:

mikejoos said...

How’d you get the braces off? I had braces too; they had a special tool to loosen the glue.

Anna said...

Getting the wire out was rather easy. The crux of the whole operation was getting the brackets off. Believe it or not, we used a woven blanket. We would wrap the threads around a bracket, I would hold my tooth back, and she would yank the blanket. Pretty effective method actually, although I would not recommend it to anyone. I later had to get the cement residue buffed off.

KMAX said...

OWWWWW on the whole braces thing. That was painful when they cracked them off with the special tool if I remember correctly. Damn brace cement.

I grew up in Cobb County also (Acworth to be more precise). Was in the first of the sprawling Brookstone communities just off Mars Hill Rd. Where did you go to school?

Anna said...

Mars Hill Rd....that sounds so familiar. I went to Pope High School (East Cobb) for a little while, but finished things up at St. Francis in Roswell. Small world! Where did you go?

KMAX said...

Heh, I'm a little younger... I went to Ford Elementary School and eventually would have gone to Harrison High. Moved up to MD in 1995 or 1996.

Anna said...

Just 3 years younger; I'm not THAT old!

KMAX said...

Haha, now I never said that...


I really do know better then to talk to women about age...

Anna said...

No worries! I'm just sensitive after seeing my USCF racing age on my license.

Anonymous said...

You're killing me with the brace and boyfriend story. You know that was probably the most expensive overbite ever. As for your other topics I shall ever remain silent!
Mom

Anna said...

Yeah, I kinda owe you big time. You were quite the trooper throughout my adolescents. Thanks again! Love you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks.
Trooperishly yours,Mom
Love you too!