Friday, March 21, 2008

Lemond Couture

The 2008 collegiate road racing season is now underway and it's still a little strange to be on the other side , living in post-collegiate life. Looking back on my own collegiate bike racing career, a scrapbook of memories brings a smile to my face as I recall all the good times and great friends I made along the way. While fame on the podium at collegiate nationals would never be mine (or even the top ten for that matter), I did have some shining moments. (photo by Matlin?: Army race '05)

The crown jewel of these shining moments took place back in 2004 during the Collegiate Road Nationals banquet dinner at the Monona Terrace (designed my Frank Lloyd Wright) in Madison, Wisconsin. After a quick trip to the local vintage clothing store, my teammates and I planned to make a grand entrance in some of the most hideous prom dresses the 80’s had to offer. However, this plan was foiled due to some minor alterations gone wrong. So….I ended up being the only one of our Penn State Crew clad in 80’s garb.

Sure there were the Army kids who were dressed as various super heroes (which is actually a little disturbing), the Colorado kids trying to make waves in the punch bowl, and the Ivy League kids (particularly Mike Barton of Dartmouth) up to their crazy stunts and gags…but I was to be the only Nittany Lioness to arrive in full costume. (photo by Matlin?: Barton @ ECCC championsips '05)



So there I was, in this hideous blue and white dress with the letters “PSU” spelled out across the sash in electrical tape and a side pony tail teased out to the edge of oblivion. It was quite a sight, and, being an only child, I must admit I did enjoy the attention. The keynote speaker for the evening, Greg Lemond, was graciously autographing various forms of memorabilia when my friend Laura (wearing baseball cap in photo) suggested I hop in line and get my dressed signed; I obliged... and the rest is history.

This event was to be my first and only solo photo debut on cyclingnews.com. Such a shining moment! Had I to choose between a place on the podium or a bizarre photo-op with Greg Lemond forever recorded in Cyclingnews…I think I’d take the latter….no, actually I would take the former….ok, it’s a tie.

Oh, and then there was the time Eric and I had a tangle with the law when pre-riding the course for Collegiate Mountain Bike Nationals at Seven Springs….but we’ll save that story for later.
Hmmm...collegiate cycling, those were the days.

6 comments:

Chickin said...

The good ole college days. Just this morning I was telling Sonja about the time I got arrested in Richmond, Kentucky back in college. Actually "I" didn't get arrested because I used my sister's ID so she's the one that got it on her record. Don't worry, it was not a felony or anything so I am not going to be on America's Most Wanted anytime soon. It was quite amusing.

Anna said...

I'm sure we would have had good times had we been in college together. Your sister must be very understanding.

Lorena said...

I love that story! You told it to me once before, but you left out the part about getting your dress signed by Greg Lemond and ending up in cyclingnews. I love your antics!

Anna said...

And I love yours! Looking forward to another season of antics! You're only young once!

gwadzilla said...

that reminds me....

I need to print out a few photos of you and assemble something for your photo collections in your room

Anna said...

A Gwadzilla original would go nicely with my collection