Thursday, March 27, 2008

Lady Like












































































































Riding in the watershed last weekend with a bunch of Y chromosomes, someone commented that they "got chicked". I think they were referring to the act of a female out-performing a male. Is this a compliment or a backhanded insult against my gender? Should I be flattered that I was able to ride my bike a little faster despite the fact that I have all this reproductive equipment to lug around? Or...should I be disappointed that they don't have higher expectations of a female rider? Hmmmmm.....not sure. Either way, it was a good day on the bike...and they were good guys. I just tend to over think things


Be proud. Ride Like a Girl.

Here are some quotes to enjoy while you ponder....

"Let me tell you what I think of bicycling. It has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. It gives a woman a feeling of freedom and self-reliance. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel...the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood." ~ susan b. anthony, women's rights activist, 1896


[T]he bicycle will accomplish more for women's sensible dress than all the reform movements that have ever been waged. ~Author Unknown, from Demerarest's Family Magazine, 1895

She who succeeds in gaining the mastery of the bicycle will gain the mastery of life. ~Frances E. Willard, How I Learned To Ride The Bicycle, 1895


photo credits:
1) Audrey Hepburn: radzi.info 2) Mary Mcconneloug: gallery.mtbr.com 3) old school lady: http://www.grapids.lib.mi.us/ 4)Aiden: by Gwadzilla 5) Me: by Gwadzilla 6) foot: bikehugger.com 7) Sue Haywood: http://www.seaotterclassic.com/ 8) random ladies: www.grapids.lib.mi.us 9)Maggie: http://www.sceniccityvelo.com/ 10) Jacquie: from Jacquie 11) Hillary: sponsorhouse.loopd.com 12)My mom: by my grandmother 13) Me: by Icon o. Classt

6 comments:

riderx said...

Unfortunately, many boys just can't stand when women are better riders than them. I've seen it many times on group rides, when regrouping the slow guy always has to grab the holeshot (sort of) to get in front of any women and then proceeds to slow them down and block the trail because his fragile ego can't handle the ladies being better riders than him.

They need to either get over it or become better riders. Gender doesn't matter, skills and fitness do.

Anna said...

True. I hate to make an issue of it. As in life, when you boil it down, it should just be about enjoying the ride.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Susan B. Anthony that the bicycle has been a great factor in the emancipation of women. You would never guess the similarity between Susan B.and that adorable girl, about 9 years old, in her best dress, posing with her new bicycle. She loves the blue enamel color of her bike and she is thinking, as soon as this lousy picture is taken, I'm outta here.

Anna said...

She takes after her daughter

gwadzilla said...

I stole that photo of you in the polka dot dress for my page

thanks

Anna said...

No problem. I wore that especially for the PBE. Welcome back to the district!