Friday, February 29, 2008

So Long

It is with great sadness that I finally lay to rest my commuter bike. This untimely retirement came as a result of yesterday’s head-on collision with a SUV as I was traveling north bound on 14th street. In addition to my bent fork and cracked down tube, I also managed to crack the woman’s windshield with my helmet. Once the motorist assessed her damages she decided to alert the police. Within moments a swarm of bike cops arrived and quickly took inventory of the situation. Upon their assessment they concluded that no further action was necessary as damages sustained by both parties were of equal severity. Despite the dramatic display of launching onto her hood, I was relatively unscathed. (photo on top left taken by gwadzilla a few weeks ago)

Today my neck is a little sore, and I am discovering a few bruises here and there, but the real recovery is in letting go of a bike I have grown to love over the last 5 years. It fit me like a favorite pair of jeans. I salvaged what parts I could, and am now in the process of piecing together a new commuter bike with the help of the Freeze Thaw Guys. Turns out that frameset I bought at the Trexlertown Velo Swap is actually going to come in handy. Maybe it was a good $40 bucks spent after all.

Looks like I'm gonna have to double up on my sock sales!

PS - For legal reasons I declined to mention that it was actually more my fault than hers...now that everything has blown over, I'll go ahead and take complete responsibility for my actions.

8 comments:

mikejoos said...

I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooo
glad to hear you are ok.

Ching chang chung, please don’t hit me!!! Didn’t seem to work this time. Maybe a newer more effective song? But seriously I’m sorry about your loss, I’ve got a few bins of old bike parts in my basement let me know if you need anything. All stuff I probably will never use anyway so please ask.

Anna said...

Thanks for your concern. I wasn't singing my safety song at the time. I think things would have been different if I had just had a chance to belt out one line.

Thanks for the parts offer. I think I'm good for right now. Unless you have a Tarmac laying around?

MRussell said...

Sorry to hear about your bike, and glad to read you are okay, besides the bumps/bruises.

Good Luck on the sock sales, be careful when posting pics of tea kettles...

Anonymous said...

......and after climbing throughout North America, people always laugh when I tell them commuting by bicycle is by far, the most dangerous thing I have ever done! Be careful out there!

goat said...

bikes can be replaced, you can't. glad you're OK.

Icon O. Classt said...

Daaaayuuuum. Good to hear you came through relatively unscathed. Welcome to the club.

That's a nice bike to have to lose that way, but at least you're around and okay to pick out another.

Hope you're feeling okay. Be careful out there!

Anna said...

Thanks everybody for your concern!!!

fridrix said...

I hope you're OK too.