Tuesday, February 19, 2008

3 Gap!!!

Saturday morning I met up with my good friends Maria, Nick, and K...along with the new generation of UGA kids to ride 3Gap located just outside Dahlonega, GA. This ride is definetly in my top 3 of all time favorite road rides. It is also a popular route for the Tour de Georgia. The roads along this route are littered with painted expressions of support by race spectators from years past. Although these words of encouragement were not intended for me, I still find them helpful as I grind my way up Neels, Wolf Pen, and Woody Gap. (photo on left taken on Wolf Pen 2 years ago)

With temperatures reaching the 60s, it was a popular day to be in the mountains. The roads were an endless (well maybe not endless, but you get the idea) stream of cyclists, with and without motors. Road teams were out in droves...some even with their own support car, which proved to be helpful when one of our own men laid the bike down when turning a gravel speckled corner....

At the end of the day we decided to go up Neels Gap once more...it was to be my first time descending the south side of Neels. It is one of the most amazing descents I have ever had the pleasure of bombing. The road winds it's way down the mountain with perfectly crafted banks that allow you to confidently lean the bike at speeds that would make your grandmother roll in her grave.

It was a beautiful day to be on the bike in the company of old friends...and the next generaton of UGA cycling. This will be the year they win the SECCC! I feel it!!!

No comments: