Wednesday, November 7, 2007

A Labour of Luv


After several months of research and planning my new mountain bike is a reality!!!! I took great time and care to consider all my options before hopping back into the mountain bike market. I am a lover of the aluminum hard tail and unfortunately this is no longer the focal point of most bike manufacturers. Today the big money is in things like full suspension, carbon, titanium, and tricked-out single speeds. To which I respond:

Full Suspension: too busy
Carbon: too fragile
Titanium: too expensive
Tricked-out Single Speeds: too Roman

Call me a Plain Jane, but I have a true appreciation for the simplicity of the aluminum hard tail. In my search for the perfect frame with an appealing color scheme my attention was drawn to the Kona Kula Supreme…which happens to be composed of scandium (located between calcium and titanium on the periodic table). It also happens to be incredibly light…which could prove to be a problem when I go bashing through my beloved rock gardens…I’ll be interested to see how it holds up. Once I made my frame selection it was time to make an inventory of those parts from my old bike that were salvageable. The list was as follows:

Old Parts to Harvest:


Fork
Bars
Stem
Grips
Shifters
Brakes
Seat Post
Saddle
Peddles
Tires
Skewers

I then comprised a list of new parts to order. With Eric’s help I was able to find those parts that were both economically sensible as well as light and durable.

New Parts to Order:

Front Derailleur: Shimano XT
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT (the new shadow kind)
Crank Set: Truvative – team GXP
Cassette: Shimano XT
Chain: SRAM
Front Hub: WTB
Rear Hub: WTB
Rims: Velocity (Electric Blue)
Spokes: Whale Bone (just to see if you’re paying attention)
Cables and Housing

Eric Roman was kind enough to build up the wheels as well as combine this anthology of parts into what I have come to know as my NEW BIKE!!!! It was truly a labour (notice the euro spelling) of love. It is the perfect combination of style, sensibility, and durability (let’s hope!) I can’t wait to ride it! Stay tuned for updates on how thin scandium tubes holds up to east coast rock gardens!