Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Of Bikes and Men

JuJo Acres Farm

Another weekend with the Stoltzfus family up in central Pennsylvania. Saturday morning began with a wholesome breakfast of oats and raisins topped with raw kefir fresh from their farm. Meghan and I set out to start the morning chores of feeding and milking the goats as well as making minor repairs to a damaged fence. Once we had completed the morning chores, Meghan and I joined Jonas, Judy, Ben, and Jonathan as they prepared for the slaying, plucking, and gutting of six beautiful turkeys. Up until this point I have never participated in such an activity…it was to be a day of firsts. I will spare you all the details of the turkey massacre, but I will say that is was done in a very humane fashion….or as humane as it can be.

Following lunch (and a short cross ride) I joined the Stoltzfus team in the rather large task of washing, cutting, and cooking a mound of apples that would eventually amount to 72 quarts of applesauce. It was a well organized operation that came to a close shortly after the sun had set. We ended the day with an outdoor dinner under the light of a kerosene lantern. It’s a good life they have.



Charm City
….I had to abort mission….I felt like poo….I was running late…there will be other races